Robert M. Thomas, Jr. is a former Assistant U.S. Attorney, and the principal and founder of Thomas & Associates in Boston, a white collar litigation firm concentrating in whistleblower representation. Bob Thomas is a 1985 cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School and an experienced litigator of False Claims Act qui tam cases, as well as complex criminal and civil fraud cases.
He is a member of the bars of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the State of Maryland, and the District of Columbia. He began his career in Washington D.C. at Covington & Burling and then from 1989 to 1997 served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland, where he concentrated on the criminal prosecution of white-collar fraud matters. Shortly after returning to private practice, he and his family moved to Boston where he started Thomas & Associates in 2000. Thomas & Associates has obtained successful results for whistleblowers in several substantial False Claims Act qui tam cases including cases against:
- Pfizer ($2.3 billion recovered)
- Amgen ($762 million recovered)
- Serono ($704 million recovered)
- Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff (more than $400 million recovered)
- Forest Labs ($303 million recovered)
- Elan ($203 million recovered)
- Amedisys ($150 million recovered)
- WellCare ($137.5 million recovered)
- Aggregate Industries PLC (more than $42 million recovered)
- International Nephrology Network ($15 million recovered)
- Eisai ($11 million recovered)
- North Atlantic Medical Services ($852,378 recovered)
Attorney Robert M. Thomas, Jr., Thomas & Associates
In 2005, Attorney Bob Thomas also had a successful result (a multi-million dollar relator’s share) for a relator in the actions against Serono, Inc. relating to off-label allegations concerning the human growth hormone Serostim. Serono pled guilty to criminal conspiracy charges related to its marketing practices and paid a fine of $136.9 million. In settlement of the government’s civil claims, initiated by whistleblowers, Serono paid $567 million in damages.
Attorney Robert M. Thomas, Jr. and Attorney Suzanne E. Durrell collaboratively represent whistleblowers in many ongoing False Claims Act/Qui Tam cases currently under seal around the country as well as clients in SEC and IRS whistleblower matters. In addition to his litigation responsibilities, Mr. Thomas serves as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Boston University Law School, where he teaches a course on Health Care Fraud and Abuse. He is frequently invited to speak at professional conferences on this and related topics.
Areas of Practice
- Whistleblower Litigation
- Health Care Fraud/FDA Violations
- Government Contract and Procurement Fraud
- Securities Fraud and SEC Violations
- Tax Fraud and IRS Violations
- False Claims Act/Qui Tam
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Maryland, 1986
- District of Columbia, 1987
- Massachusetts, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- Harvard University Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, J.D. cum laude – 1987
- Princeton University, B.A. magna cum laude – 1980
- U.S. ex rel. Westmoreland v. Amgen, et al., WL 4342721 (D. Mass 2011)
- U.S. ex rel. Westmoreland v. Amgen, et al., 652 F.3d 103 (1st Cir 2011)
- U.S. ex rel. Westmoreland v. Amgen, et al., 738 F.Supp.2d 267 (D. Mass 2010)
- U.S. ex rel. Gobble v. Forest Labs, et al.,, 729 F.Supp.2d 446 (D. Mass 2010)
- U.S. ex rel. Westmoreland v. Amgen, et al, 707 F.Supp.2d 123 (D. Mass 2010)
- U.S. et al v. Amgen et al, 06-10972 D. Mass.
- U.S. et al v. Elan Corp., 04-11594 D. Mass.
- U.S. et al v. WellCare, 3:07cv1688 D. Conn.
- U.S. et al v. Forest Labs, 03-10395 D. Mass.
- U.S. et al. v. Pfizer Inc., 04-11780 D. Mass.
- U.S. et al. v. Aggregate Industries, PLC, et al., 06-11379 D. Mass.
- U.S. et al. v. St. Jude Medical, 06-11166 D. Mass.
- U.S. et al. v. East Boston Neighborhood Health Center Corp, et al., 03-12360 D. Mass.
- U.S. and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Metromedic Health Center, 03-11828 D. Mass.
- Fraud & Abuse in Healthcare (RMT), Boston University Law School, 2011 – Present
Honors and Awards
- E.P.A. Bronze Award for outstanding contribution to the government’s efforts in United States v. Wilson & Interstate General Company
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell’s peer-rating system for over ten years
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taxpayers Against Fraud, 2003 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Walter E. Black, Jr., U.S. District Court, District of Maryland, Law Clerk, 1985 – 1986
- Covington & Burling, 1986 – 1989
- District of Maryland, Assistant U.S. Attorney, 1989 – 1997
- Comey, Boyd & Luskin, 1997 – 1999
- Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault, 1999 – 2000
- Thomas & Associates, Founder, 2000 to present
When you need to set the record straight, get the resources, skill and experience of two respected litigators with extensive knowledge and experience in whistleblower, qui tam and False Claims Act suits. Attorney Robert M. Thomas, Jr. can be reached at 617-371-1072.